When should I seek help?
If you're concerned about memory loss, see your doctor. There are tests to determine the degree of memory impairment and diagnose the cause.
Your doctor is likely to ask you questions. It's good to have a family member or friend along to answer some questions based on observations. Questions might include:
- When did your memory problems begin?
- What medications, including prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs and dietary supplements, do you take and in what doses?
- Have you recently started a new drug?
- What tasks do you find difficult?
- What have you done to cope with memory problems?
- How much alcohol do you drink?
- Have you recently been in an accident, fallen or injured your head?
- Have you recently been sick?
- Do you feel sad, depressed or anxious?
- Have you recently had a major loss, a major change or stressful event in your life?